Did you know that more than 50 percent of all Americans have a pet that they will travel with? With that many pets on the road Chevrolet recently partnered with Pets Are Worth Saving (PAWS) of Chicago to put together a comprehensive guide to keeping pets safe during travel.
Ensuring a great trip start with preparation! Make sure that your pet is current on vaccinations and protects against diseases like canine Lyme disease. It’s also very important to ensure that you know the phone number of an emergency vet in the area you will be going. Other important preparations include carrying a photo of a your pet in case you’re separated.
Now that the prep work is done, how do you keep your pet safe during the actual travel? Chevy makes it very easy!
- Restrain/confine your dog during travel. This is actually a requirement in some states! The Chevy Equinox’s cargo area can accommodate good sized pet carriers and you can even find seat belt restraints if your dog would rather sit in the back seat you can find seat belts for your pet.
- If your dog barks a lot or has anxiety issues, make sure to bring chew toys and treats to to keep them occupied.
- Use OnStar to find pet friend restaurants so that you never have to leave your dog or cat in the car alone. Leaving your pet alone in a car, regardless of the weather is dangerous. Unattended pets can also be stolen. If you see a distressed pet you can use your OnStar to alert the authorities.
- On long trips where you will be bringing snacks, remember that some human foods can be fatal to dogs.
- When traveling with cats remember to use a carrier, this will ensure their safety, especially in the event of an accident.
- Remember that like dogs, cats also need space for their travel essentials. Pack a portable litter box and collapsible food and water bowls.
- A helpful travel hack is to freeze a bowl of water and let your cat lick it to stay cool, occupied and neat.
If where you’re going doesn’t allow pets, don’t worry. Using built in 4G LTE Wi-Fi you can video chat with your pet when you’re stopped at rest areas! The ability to connect up to seven devices at one time means the whole family can keep tabs on your pet!